Tenant FAQs

Here are some questions and brief answers to most commonly asked questions from landlords and tenants about property managers and property management services.

What is a bond and who keeps it?

A bond is a security deposit paid at the start of a tenancy. The money is kept in trust with RTA and remains there for the duration of the tenancy. A portion or all of the amount may be used at the end of tenancy to cover damages or loss of rent.

How often will my rental property be inspected?

The landlord or property manager will inspect the property and fill up an entry report when you move into your property. A routine inspection will then be conducted once every quarter, or four times a year. When the lease ends, the property manager will again check the property and fill up an exit report.

Do I need to be present during inspection?

No. Your property manager has a set of keys for the property and will leave a note to inform you they had conducted an inspection. You can make an appointment to see your property manager if you have any concerns that you want to discuss. With that said, you are welcome to be there for the inspection to show the inspectors around. If you are not going to be present, make sure your pet(s) is secured and there is access to all rooms and spaces so that the inspection will be completed.

What do I do if I lose my keys?

It is your responsibility as a tenant to secure all keys and garage remotes. You will incur the cost (including travel) of replacing the keys. Your property manager is available to recommend the best option for you.

What happens if I break my lease?

Inform the property manager in writing of your intention to break your lease. In most cases, you have to fill up a Form 13 (Notice of Intention to Leave). You must continue to pay rent until a new tenant is signed. You also need to pay a let fee (plus GST) and an advertising cost (plus GST).

What if I cannot pay my rent on time?

Contact your property manager immediately in writing should you face difficulties in paying your rent on time.

Should I get insurance?

It is recommended that you get a contents insurance. Insuring the house is the responsibility of the landlord, but this doesn’t cover your personal belongings. For example, if some of your items were stolen during a burglary, the content insurance will cover the loss. The same goes for natural disasters, flood damage, lock replacement and other items covered in the policy. You can refer to your insurance policy for the coverage.

How do I report urgent maintenance?

Here is a list or urgent maintenance items according to the RTA:

  • A major roof leak
  • A gas leak
  • A burst water service or a major water service leak
  • A blocked or damaged lavatory service
  • A serious electrical fault
  • Flooding or major flood damage
  • A major storm, fire or impact damage
  • A breakdown of the gas, electricity and water supply to the property
  • A breakdown of vital service or appliance on the property for cooking, hot water or heating
  • A damage that makes the premises unsafe to occupy
  • A damage that could injure a person or damage the property or undeservedly make living in the property uncomfortable for the occupants
  • A break in the staircase, lift and other common areas that undeservedly inconvenienced a tenant from entering or using the property

How do I deal with urgent maintenance after office hours?

If the issue requires an urgent resolution, you can contact the tradespeople stated in your lease agreement to handle the issue. Make sure your property manager is aware of the repair by advising them in writing.

What do I do with accidental damage caused to the property?

Report the accidental damage to your property manager as soon as possible. Report it in writing together with accompanying photos of the damage. Your property manager will contact the landlord for their instruction. However, it is likely that you will bear the cost of the repairs.

Can someone move in with me?

You must seek the landlord’s approval first before letting someone move in with you. If you do this without approval, you can receive a Notice to Remedy Breach (Form 11). Note that this incident will affect your tenancy history, so it is important to abide by the rules.

What if someone on the lease have to move out?

If an occupant needs to leave the premises before the end of the lease, they must fill up a Form 13 (Notice of Intention to Leave) and submit this to the property manager. Add other residents must agree to this person leaving the premises prior to the end of the lease.

How do I break my lease?

Situations come up that could force you to break a lease. Your property manager will be happy to assist you in this situation and will help in finding a replacement tenant quickly. You will need to complete some paperwork and pay certain fees and charges. Once the paperwork is finalised, your property manager will begin advertising the property in search for a new occupant. You must continue to maintain the property and pay the rent throughout this period.

I have a pet. How do I apply for a pet?

Apply for a pet in writing and submit it to your property manager. The application will be sent to the landlord and/or body corporate to decide whether to approve or not the application.

Can I make changes to the property?

Any changes you want to make to the property, temporary or permanent, must be approved by the landlord. Send all your requests in writing, giving as many details as possible. Making changes without permission can result in you being issues a Notice to Remedy Breach (Form 11) and being asked to remove the changes and repair any damages.

Am I responsible for maintaining the garden in the property?

As per your lease agreement, you are responsible for watering, weeding and maintaining the gardens and lawns.

Didn’t find what you are looking for?

Fill up the form below and we’ll happily assist you with your queries

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.