First-Time Home Buyers: The Most Affordable Suburbs for You

Domain has released its First Home Buyers Report which reveals the Australian suburbs that are the most affordable for first home buyers.

The report, which covers all eight of Australia’s capital cities, takes grants and initiatives for first home buyers into consideration, and looks at the average median price that can considered to be affordable for first home buyers.

The most affordable area overall, according to Domain, is Greater Hobart which has the most affordable suburbs that are closest to a CBD.

The Greater Hobart area has the lowest entry price point for houses, with a median at $130,000 in Herdsman Cove, 22 kilometres away from the closest CBD, while the Greater Adelaide area has the best median price point for units.

“While Greater Adelaide is the most affordable region for first home buyers looking for units, with the median price in Rosewater – the most affordable suburb in Greater Adelaide – at $154,000,” Domain’s chief data scientist Nicola Powell said.

The report considers a suburb to be affordable if it is below the average home loan size over the same period per state or territory plus a 20 per cent deposit and additional grants.

The cheapest suburb for each capital city, as determined by Domain, are:

Greater Sydney

  • Houses – Gosford ($412,5000, 65km to nearest CBD)
  • Units – Ettalong Beach ($301,500, 51km to nearest CBD)

First home buyers in Sydney have access to the First Home – New Home scheme and a $10,000 First Home Owner Grant.

Under the First Home – New Home scheme, a new home valued at $550,000 or under are exempt from stamp duty. There are also concessions available for homes valued between $550,000 and $600,000.

The First Home Owner Grant is also available for purchases made on or after January 1 2016.

Greater Melbourne

  • Houses – Millgrove ($295,000, 70km to nearest CBD)
  • Units – Albion ($225,000, 15km to nearest CBD)

First home buyers in Victoria have access to the First Home Owner Grant and stamp duty concessions.

The First Home Owner Grant is worth $10,000 for new homes valued under $750,000, with another $10,000 available for homes in regional Victoria, from 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2020.

Stamp duty concessions are eligible for both new and established homes valued at $600,000 or less up to a potential 50 per cent.

Greater Brisbane

  • Houses – Brendale ($259,750, 20km to nearest CBD)
  • Units – Mount Warren Park ($183,500, 39km to nearest CBD)

First home buyers in Queensland have access to the First Home Buyers Grant and transfer duty concessions.

The First Home Owners’ Grant is valued at $20,000 for new and substantially renovated properties at $750,000 and below, but it is only available until 30 June 2017.

Transfer concessions are on a sliding scale, determined by the total amount of duty payable by the value of the purchased home and the concession rate minus the first buyer concession.

Greater Canberra

  • Houses – Not considered to be affordable.
  • Units – Hawker ($277,500, 11km to nearest CBD)

First home buyers in the ACT have access to the First Home Owner Grant, and stamp duty charges at concessional rates.

The First Home Owner Grant is valued at $7,000 for the purchase of new or substantially renovated homes priced below $750,000.

Stamp duty is also charged at a concessional rate for new or substantially renovated homes priced below $590,000. For homes priced below $590,000 and above $468,000, stamp duty is valued at $14.70 per $100 or part of $100 where the dutiable value exceeds $468,000. Homes priced at or below $468,000 have a $20 duty payment.

Greater Perth

  • Homes – Medina ($250,000, 39km to nearest CBD)
  • Units – Orelia ($165,000, 39km to nearest CBD)

First home buyers in Western Australia have access to various grants, special rates for stamp duty and the Shared Home Ownership Scheme.

Concessions are available in the form of a $10,000 grant and a payment of an additional $5,000, the latter of which is only available until 30 June 2017. Eligibility for the grant is determined by the value and geographical location of the home.

Stamp duty is also charged at a special rate for first home buyers for homes valued below $530,000. Homes, both new and established, above $430,000 and below $530,000 will have duty imposed at the rate of $19.19 for every $100 or part of $100 with the dutiable value exceeding $430,000.

New and off-the-plan homes offered by Western Australia’s Housing Authority are also available to be purchased through the Shared Home Ownership Scheme, which gives first home buyers a SharedStart loan through government lending agent Keystart. This allows for just a $2,000 or a 2 per cent deposit, whichever is greater.

Greater Adelaide

  • Houses – Elizabeth North ($176,500, 29km from CBD)
  • Units – Rosewater ($154,000, 12km from CBD)

First home buyers in South Australia have access to the First Home Owner Grant and off-the-plan concessions.

The First Home Owner Grant is currently valued at $15,000 for new and substantially renovated homes under $575,000.

First home buyers buying off-the-plan can also be potentially eligible for concessions on new apartments at or below $500,000.

Greater Hobart

  • Houses – Herdsmans Cove ($130,000, 22km from CBD)
  • Units – Claremont ($174,000, 14km from CBD)

First home buyers in Tasmania have access to the First Home Owner Grant, valued at $20,000 until 1 July 2017 for the construction or purchase of new homes, including off-the-plan. After 1 July, the First Home Owner Grant will be valued at $10,000.

Greater Darwin

  • Houses – Not considered to be affordable
  • Units – Millner ($331,500, 10km from CBD)

First home buyers in the Northern Territory have access to the First Home Owner Grant, First Home Owner Discount and the Household Goods Grant Scheme.

The First Home Owner Grant can be claimed for both new and established homes, valued at $26,000 for a new home and can be potentially available for established homes.

First home buyers purchasing established homes can access the First Home Owner Discount, removing stamp duty for homes below $500,000. Additionally, a $10,000 grant is available for first home buyers to renovate the home.

Also available for first home buyers purchasing or constructing a new home is the Household Goods Grant Scheme, which allows up to $2,000 claimable for new household goods.


Managing Your Door

Maintenance of your B&D garage door and opener is critical to ensuring its smooth, quiet, reliable operation, and in most cases is necessary to ensure your warranty remains valid.



Your coloured steel door has been pre-painted with a silicone modified polyester formulation, which is one of the best paint films available today. However good a product may be, all exposed surfaces require some attention to guard against corrosion and any other harmful atmospheric effects.

Washing the door with clean water and a cloth every 14 days is recommended. More frequent washing is advised in salty or industrial fallout areas.

Remember, when you think of cleaning your car… clean your door!


Regular Maintenance Required

B&D recommends that you check the operation of your door at least every three to six months (more regularly in extreme environments or frequent use). The effort required to manually open and to manually close the door should be about the same (if door has an automatic opener, put into manual mode before testing door).



(every 3-6 months)

Guide Track

(Rolling Doors) Clean the internal sections of the guide tracks with a cloth dampened with mineral turps or methylated spirits.  Polish vigorously to achieve a smooth, dirt and moisture resistant surface, allowing the Nylofelt to glide more easily. DO NOT USE GREASE OR OIL ON THE GUIDE TRACKS.
(Sectional Doors) Should be cleaned as per rolling door instructions, but do not required polishing of the internal guide tracks.

Steel Hinges

(If fitted) Sparingly lubricate with an all purpose machine oil.  Also lubricate wheel to axle bearings.

Plastic Hinges

No lubrication is generally required, however silicon spray may be used if necessary.


(Where accessible). Wipe over with an oily rag.


Your lock does not require special maintenance, however if the key becomes stiff, a spray lubricant such as RP7 is recommended. Do not grease the lock.

Opener Chain

Lubricate with Chain Lube.

Service & Repair

Lifting Cables

(If fitted). Check for wear through by rubbing. If there is fraying or signs of corrosion contact B&D or an approved B&D dealer.  These cables are under extreme tension and should never be adjusted, except by B&D Doors or approved B&D Dealers.


Check all screws, nuts and bolts to ensure they are secure.

Spring Tension

It is natural for springs to lose tension. Should the door become hard to operate or completely inoperative, contact your local B&D office, or call the B&D dealer who installed your door.

To keep your door running well, it is recommended that your door be serviced by an experienced technician, every 12 months or earlier if required.  Contact B&D Doors for more advice on servicing.


The spring unit is under tension at all times and should never be adjusted, except by B&D Doors or approved B&D dealers. No operator or other person should ever stand directly in the path of the door in its downward travel or walk through doorway while door is moving. Always use the door handle to manually operate the door. If the door is now or later becomes automatically operated, the pull down rope on the door must be removed.


*Cedarpanel Woodoil Application Instructions:

To keep your B&D Cedarpanel door in optimal condition, WoodOil needs to be applied.

Automatic Openers

If you have an automatic opener fitted to your door it is important that you ensure the optimum operation of your door, otherwise you may reduce the effective life of the opener, and void your opener warranty. For more information refer to the maintenance schedule in your opener’s instruction handbook.


Reference: Maintenance of Your B&D Garage Door

, , , , ,

My First-Time Renting Guide

Two women takling

All you need to know when renting your first property

After making the decision it’s time to move out of home, there are some important things that you need to know.

What do I need to apply for my first rental property?

So, you’ve never rented before.  But don’t worry, everyone must start somewhere.  There are a few things that you can do to make this step a little easier.

Property Managers have a duty to ensure that you can afford the rent and that the property is the right one for you.

You will be required to provide verification of income and photo ID, along with proof of address and most likely personal references and professional referees.

In most newcomer’s circumstances, you may need to ask Mum, Dad or a relative, to go guarantor or co-sign the lease.
Talk to the property manager should you have any queries or concerns.

Man writing

What happens when my application is approved?

Congratulations, your application is approved.  There are several steps you will need to get through prior to being handed the keys.   The first step will require you to sign documentation.

The Tenancy Agreement

Your Tenancy Agreement is an important document.  It is a legal contract between you as the Tenant and the Lessor/Rental Agency.

By signing the lease agreement, you are legally committing to what is stated on the agreement, including any special terms which should be agreed to in advance.

Make sure you read and understand the agreement before signing and always keep a copy of it in a safe place.

The Bond Lodgement

In most states a rental bond is a compulsory requirement by the Lessor/Agent at the commencement of a tenancy agreement.

Your rental bond is lodged with the legislative Authorities and acts as security for the landlord or owner in case you don’t meet the terms of your lease agreement.

At the end of your agreement the bond amount will be refunded, however, if the property needs cleaning or repairs or if items need to be replaced the landlord or owner may claim some or all the bond.

The amount of the bond is specified in the Tenancy Agreement document.

Woman in front of a computer

What documents should I receive before moving in?

The documentation required to be given to you at the time of sign-up differs slightly from state to state, however, in most cases, the following should apply;

  •  Information booklet relating to renting in your state or territory:
  • Copy of the General Tenancy Agreement
  • Copy of the bond lodgement form
  • Original and copies of the condition report – to be checked, completed and signed, then returned to the office in the required time frame
  • Receipt for initial rent amount, lease fees and bond
  • Photocopy of all keys and remote controls (if any)
  • Emergency contact details

Girl Packing

What is an Entry Condition Report?

The Entry Condition Report is provided to the ingoing resident/lease holders at the beginning of their tenancy start date.  This report outlines the condition of the property at the beginning of your Tenancy.

It is important that you carefully check the condition report and make sure it includes all existing damage or issues with the property.  We suggest taking photos of the property before your move in and provide a copy of these photos to your agent / landlord as record of the properties original condition.

Legislation allows tenants a certain amount of days to check the details completed by the agent/owner on the condition report, to confirm or disagree with those details.

As the condition report, can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about who should pay for cleaning, damage or replacement of missing items at the end of the agreement –make sure you go through it thoroughly.

Make sure both you and the landlord/Agent agree on the contents of the condition report before signing it.

Man and woman talking

How do I prepare for a Routine Inspection?

Couple discussng with real etate agent

Your landlord or real estate agent may carry out a periodic inspection of the property to ensure it is being well cared for and any routine repairs are made. This inspection may include the following:

  • The property is being maintained in a clean and tidy condition.
  • The grounds are being maintained in a clean and tidy condition.
  • The property is not being damaged in any way.
  • There are no more than the number of people specified on the tenancy agreement living at the property.
  • No pets are housed at the property, unless otherwise agreed to.
  • Any maintenance issues identified can be attended to.

There are minimum notice requirements to be given to a tenant prior to a scheduled routine.   This will ensure that you have plenty of time to have a good tidy up beforehand.

, , ,

Is Your Portable Pool A Safety Risk?

portable pool in the backyard of a luxury property

Drowning is the most common cause of traumatic death in children aged under five years in Queensland. Approximately five toddlers drown in Queensland swimming pools every year. Almost all swimming pool drownings are preventable.

As the temperature increases, so too does the need to find a cool spot in which to relax and escape the heat, especially for children.

Many parents look to small inflatable pools for this relief but there are several issues parents should be aware of before buying these pools. Unfortunately, every year at Christmas time, a number of lives are lost around Australia due to children drowning in small pools. Sometimes, people just aren’t aware that it only takes a small amount of water for a child to drown.

Portable pools and spas can pose a serious safety risk to young children. A number of child drownings in recent years have occurred in portable pools and spas. It is therefore important to consider the safety of young children around these pools.

If your portable pool or spa can hold more than 300 millimetres of water, has a volume of more than 2,000 litres or has a filtration system, the new laws apply to you. You will need to:

  • Obtain a certificate from a licensed building certifier stating that your pool complies with the pool safety standard, before filling the pool or spa with more than 300 millimetres of water.
  • Obtain a building approval.
  • Register your pool or spa.

If you are selling, buying or leasing your property with a pool or SPA, a safety certificate is required from a licensed pool safety inspector. Alternatively, the portable pool or spa can be removed.

Exclusions From the New Laws

Queensland’s pool safety laws do not apply to portable pools or spas that:

  • Cannot be filled with more than 300 millimetres of water.
  • Have a maximum volume of 2,000 litres.
  • Have no filtration system.

All three criteria above must be met to be excluded. Many models of portable pools sold at department stores and pool shops meet these criteria, but you should check before buying.

Source: Logan City Council

, ,

5 Top New Year’s Resolutions for Investment Property Owners

Treat it like a business

If you want to get the best possible returns on your investment, then you need to start treating like a business and not a hobby.  Some tips below on how to become a business owner of your investment:


Best decisions can be made after eyeballing a property. While your property manager will usually send you photos and a report, there is nothing like being present and seeing firsthand the state of your property.


Too many owner investors, don’t budget for maintenance let alone improvements to their property. Every business needs investment made into maintaining and future improvements


As any business, you need to know your worth. Get an annual Rental and Sales appraisal each year to keep track of how much your investment property is worth.


You should review your loans at least once a year. If your broker or lender is not giving you the best possible interest rate, then it might be time to consider re financing.


You should also review your tax planning with your accountant twice yearly. Once at the beginning of the financial year, then halfway through.  This allows you to plan and allow for any changes in your financial circumstances